During the 2023 SMART4SEA Athens Forum, Mr. Savvas Delis, Head of Sales, Marpoint, referred to the most promising trends and innovations currently taking place in the maritime shipping industry. These are: Green Technology; Fast Satellite Communications onboard Ships; 5G onboard Ships and; Sensor technology and Performance Monitoring.
The promising trends and innovation security taking place in the maritime shipping industry are as follows: fast satellite Communications on board ships, 5G on board ships, green technology, sensor technology and performance monitoring. With regard to satellite Communications and green technology, high speed and low latency are critical to maintaining the data flow necessary to meet ESG and galvanization goals. Low earth orbit satellites will enable much lower latency and higher capacity communication than additional satellites with global coverage.
With global coverage, no matter how remote, LEO satellites would meet the port-to-shore requirements of smart ships, allowing the vessels to be equipped to support a more efficient, economical, and environmentally friendly future.
The challenge is how quickly will the LEO technology will be applied in deep sea shipping?
The radical and Innovative changes that 5G technology will bring to shin going vessels on board include:
- Significant reduction in data costs
- High speeds
- New dimensions in office-to-ship communication
- Integration of new applications
- Environmental / Green Management
- Unique Wi-Fi experience for crews (streaming/video club services)
- According to the Green Technology, IMO decides to reduce greenhouse gas emissions with a goal of reducing emissions by by 50% in 2050. The new regulations are already into effect from first January 2023
Top seven environmental credit Trends and Technologies:
- Slow Steaming
- Design More Efficient Ship Hulls
- Voyage Optimization
- Optimize Propulsion Efficiency
- Using Low Carbon Fuels
- More Efficient Port Management
Sensor Technology and Performance Monitoring
The use of sensors provides an excellent opportunity to improve the efficiency and safety of ships and related equipment. Collecting high-quality ship data with reliable sensors can open up new ways to optimize the lifecycle and efficiency of ships.
IT as a driver for Technological excellence in the Maritime Industry.
Building a solid Ship IT Infrastructure in order to:
- Effectively manage the new technologies
- Provide a friendly environment to the end-user for the central management of all new technologies
- Applying best Cyber Security practices in order to make sure that all new technologies are properly applied onboard the ship and in accordance with the international regulations on Cyber Risk Management.
What is the role of IT in the Maritime Technological Developments?
The digital transformation of the maritime industry and the interconnection of ships inevitably involves the use of legacy siloed systems and their integration into the digital ecosystem.
Are companies prepared for the interconnection of legacy systems?
Is the technical infrastructure capable of handling digital risks and threats originating from anywhere in the world?
Have protection mechanisms been implemented that can detect cyber intrusions and act accordingly?
The three Legs of a Solid IT Infrastructure
- Software (operating system, ERP system, CRM systems)
- Network (how you connect both inside and outside the organization)
Must-Have Features of a Modern Maritime IT Infrastructure
- Virtualized servers: Can be provisioned and deployed remotely with significant lower service management costs
- Enhanced storage:Provide high level of security and data security and visualization features
- Heightened security:High security protocols move your ships at the infrastructure from a vulnerable state to an optimized state
- Bandwidth optimization:Allows to prioritize traffic and improve Network management by ensuring critical transmission
- Zero downtime:All mission critical applications and software remain up and running at all times
Why IT Managed Services?
- Remote Access 24/7/365, total control over IT operations, peace of mind to stakeholders
- Focus Solely On Your Business Objectives
- Minimized & Predictable Costs
- Increase Efficiencies & Improve Response Times
- Data Security, Compliance, and Risk Management
Cyber Resilience for embracing the New Maritime Technologies!
Cyber resilience allows organizations to take proactive steps to protect their organization and rapidly respond and recover from incidents with limited downtime.
Embracing cyber resilience enables businesses to have the foundation to deal with existing and emerging threats.
Above article has been edited from Mr. Delis presentation during the 2023 SMART4SEA Athens Forum